these look cool - faerie wing earrings
source (made by): Under The Ivy
The Dance at Alder Cove ☽✪☾ Youth/Father/Geezer - I see you
Friends, let me tell you about Rebecca Gomperts.
Rebecca Gomperts is a sea captain, a certified physician, and the founder of Women on Waves, a Dutch pro-choice non-profit organization that brings reproductive health services to women in countries with restrictive abortion laws.
This is how it works:
- Rebecca Gomperts and her team installed a specially constructed mobile clinic aboard a commissioned ship.
- They sail to countries with restrictive abortion laws, answering phone calls and e-mails from women who need another way out.
- Upon landing, they take the women who come to them aboard the ship, and then they take the ship out into international waters.
- There the laws of the flag ship are in effect.
- They then perform non-surgical medical abortions, while walking the women through the process.
- They sail back to shore, and once they depart, they continue to follow up with their patients to ensure they remain healthy and safe.
In response, Rebecca Gomperts and her team have been:
- hit by eggs thrown by physically violent pro-life activists
- met with resistance by government officials of the countries they visit
- been forced to disguise themselves and their patients to save the women who come to them any public shaming (which the media helps to perpetuate)
- and once, harassed by two war ships sent out by the Portuguese military
And yet they continue to answer the calls and e-mails of women who want their help, providing reproductive counseling and teaching them how to circumvent the dangerous laws of their country when necessary.
Director Diana Whitten is telling their story in her documentary, VESSEL. It’s a beautiful doc, a necessary doc, and the film is premiering this week at SXSW. Please show your support for these women on social media. It’s so incredibly important.
If you’re in need of reproductive counseling or an abortion service, you can find Women on Wave’s international support and informational collective on Women on Web.
These people are heroes. Rebecca Gomperts is a hero. What they do has and will save countless lives. It’s so incredibly important that their story is told and the struggles of women living in countries governed by restrictive abortion laws (including the United States) are brought to light.
so, i said i was going to do it, and here we are. another giveaway. i’m really wanting this one to be for my followers; in particular, the people who came from the last giveaway and have stuck around even though things have become a lot less pokemon-oriented since then, and the people who have been here forever and have just been awesome. so.
this is a food themed giveaway. i know that sometimes you are strapped for cash, too tired to cook, in a rut that makes even thinking about food difficult, or sometimes you just really want a damn pizza. so, i am giving away gift cards for various restaurants/food establishments. my personal philosophy has tended to revolve around the camaraderie and satisfaction that accentuate a good meal time, and this is my way of sharing it with people that i can’t actually share a meal with.
- first place winner receives $100, can be split up to 4 ways.
- second place winner receives $75, can be split up to 3 ways.
- third place winner receives $25, can be split up to 2 ways.
there will be a separate post listing the restaurant choices. i’m posting it separately for easier editing, as i’m sure i will be continually thinking of places to add.it would be extremely tedious and too limiting to attempt to type out a list of all the available options- this may be risky, but i’m going give the winners full discretion in picking the establishments they would like to patronize.
if you don’t really prefer any of the restaurants listed (or if you have ANY dietary concerns that would necessitate different options) fell free to let me know and we can work out something else. i would be willing to contact restaurants in your area if that would be the best way of fulfilling the prize.
- must be following. obviously. it’s for the followers.
- no giveaway blogs, duh.
- one entry per person. no likes, just reblogs (although likes are always good sentiment).
because of the above points, this is going to be a very short running contest, and i will not be tagging it in the general giveaway tag- remember peeps, this is for you! if you need to keep track of it, i will be tagging it as #getafreelunch
(that will also be the tag for the restaurant list).
i will be reblogging this every day, at a different hour each time, until march 14th, the end of the contest and pi day (why do i have a feeling most of you would pick a pizza place?) :)
make sure you inbox is open so that i can contact you, and im still considering whether or not i can go international- basically, if the restaurants in question will accept international payment, we can do it, otherwise i will have to contact the next winner. sorry!
as always, good luck everyone!!
The idea that women trade lower pay for better working conditions is bogus.
What are these gorgeous cubs up to?!!! Let’s make sure they don’t have to hide from humans. Let’s make sure they stay safe. Sign up to ban the trade in tiger parts. www.bantigertrade.com
Photos: Michael Vickers - tigersintheforest.com
> Francesca Wellborn
Deviant Art : http://pythosblaze.deviantart.com/
You should aslo absolutely check her ” Fu Beasties “
gallery too : http://pythosblaze.deviantart.com/gallery/26299004
Gems and dragons? Perfect.
why have slurs in your url when you can have
- a url without slurs
Gonna draw pokemon in panties.